Thursday, July 3, 2008

off to Benin!

Just got back from the clinic...luckily no shots were needed since I've had them all already! YAY! The buses are coming in a few hours to take us to the airport and our flight is later this evening.

So far everyone I've met has been very nice. There are 64 people in my group which is much larger than I anticipated but I like it because there are more people to meet. The women outnumber the men by far and there is only one married couple. For the most part, everyone else is in their 20s.

I'm excited to finally arrive in Benin, although I'm getting nervous again (It's been coming in waves since I got to Philadelphia on Tuesday). I think it's the time that scares me most and missing out on things back home, but I think I'd always wonder what I was missing out on in Benin if I was staying home so the knife cutes both ways I suppose. We don't arrive in Benin until Friday at which point we have a few more days of orientation and training before getting to our host family where we will be living until we are sworn in as official volunteers on September 5th. It will be so nice to unpack a few things! This year also marks the 40th anniversary of Peace Corps Benin. PC Benin has been continuous since 1968, which is impressive! Apparently the swearing in ceremony of my Peace Corps class is Incorporated into the big 40th celebration so I expect it to be an incredible time and something to look forward to.

I'm told that my work sector (TEFL) will get our post assignments early and that we will be going on a visit to it somewhere in our 4th week in country which I am SO EXCITED for. At that time I'll get to meet some future co-workers and see my future home!

As far as when you might here from me again: I know that I will not be able to get to the Internet or a telephone for the first few days, but hopefully by the end of next week I will have sent our a few emails or posted here. In the meantime, leave me messages here or shoot an email and WRITE ME LETTERS...hand written things are my favorite. :)

No comments: